Sunday, June 15, 2008

Astronomical grace

Today in church, they showed us a DVD. In which, I was deeply touched and enlightened by, so I really want to share this.



If we were to count all the stars in the sky, one star per second. It would take us 2500 years to complete counting.



This picture was taken as seen from Mars, out in the universe. And that tiny tiny tiny speck of blue dot over in the picture? That's planet Earth, our home. That's our whole life spent in that little almost non existant little speck of a dot in that picture. Everything we've ever dreamed of, what we've worked for, what we've loved for, what we've killed for we've done everything on that pale blue dot. Every "superstar", every supreme leader, every King, everyone of our species have lived there on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

And we are even smaller than we think we are. Out in the universe, we live in the Milky way galaxy.



This is just one of the many galaxies in the universe. And there are even more stuff out there that science or telescopes can't see. And scientists just keep building bigger telescopes to see more of God's amazing creations, but everytime they build a bigger one thinking they've covered the entire universe, they find that there's still more out there waiting to be discovered. Its like one whole vicious cycle. That's just how big the universe really is.

And God created all of this mindblowing, indescribable stuff out there, all shining and glowing in all of its splendour and glory. We don't know exactly how big this universe is, but we know that its well, pretty big shall we say. Enormous. And the bible says that God can measure the span of the universe with His hand.

So exactly just, how small are we? And how big and awesome and great is God?



Scientists say that every second, a new star is born. Every second, God places these shiny pretty little things one by one out in the universe. And small as we are, big as He is- He knows everyone of us by name, and He loves us so much He chose to die on a cross for us to take away our sins. When we're just truly unworthy, small and insignificant.

When I heard that during the sermon, I just started to feel that everything that ever happened in my life doesn't really matter anymore. We're living everything on this tiny pale blue dot, everything. Plus, we live in Singapore.. So we're living on that tiny red dot which is IN the pale blue dot. (LOL) And I thought about how much God really loves me, even though I'm so tiny. Everything I see when I look around is evidence of His love, its His love shouting back at me. It's astronomical grace. Suddenly everything I've ever worried about, or whined about, or wished for, desired for seemed significantly insignificant.

What are we anyway? Nothing more than dust formed into flesh by God.

We don't need to feel small, we already are much much much smaller than we think. And even so, God still chose to care about our stupid selfish little problems. And nothing this world throws you, no matter depression, loneliness, bankruptcy, illness, or even the darkness of death can ever ever shake you from His hand. He loves us that much.

I thank God for this love. Even though I am selfish with my worldly desires, and even though I let my rebellious heart push Him away from me at times, He never draw far. And time to time again, He reminds me He's there and I am small.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home